.

Qualified for Life - A Consequence of a Mason Education

At our recent LER, my son Jack and his new bride, Kaley,  sat around the campfire for an evening chat. They were there to answer any questions from parents as they both had graduated from homeschools which practice the methods of Charlotte Mason.  I would think it unnerving to have 40 people quizzing you on everything from "What were your favorite books?" to "Did you feel you missed out on anything?"  They took it all in stride, though.  I think they're used to it. At one point, Kaley mentioned to someone that "Yes, it is a marriage, but one might also look at it as a merging of two fantastic libraries of World War II titles."  (!)


In my talk on high school, "Qualified for Life - High Schoolers as Persons", I share this quote by Mason. 

  But the people themselves begin to understand and to clamour for an education which shall qualify their children for life rather than for earning a living. As a matter of fact, it is the man who has read and thought on many subjects who is, with the necessary training, the most capable whether in handling tools, drawing plans, or keeping books. The more of a person we succeed in making a child, the better will he both fulfil his own life and serve society.   Vol. 6 intro p. 3

A relational education a la Mason will open your eyes and your child's eyes to what it means to be a whole person and equip them for life.  Presently, both Jack and Kaley are going to school while Jack works in admissions at the University of Minnesota.  I know I will enjoy watching them navigate their lives as husband and wife, fulfilling who God made them to be and serving others in the process.


From joy to joy,
Nancy

P.S. -  Both of them have written posts about aspects of their homeschool journey.  Here is a blog post by Jack, "Paying Attention to Dead Books", that you might enjoy.  And here is one by Kaley and her mom, "Homeschooling Reflections".

6 comments:

  1. Joy, sheer joy to read this, to look at the pictures, to get a glimpse of that evening chat.

    I have yet to write the follow up to my readers of CMsp. Could I please translate your post in full, and Jack's post. I am sure it will encourage and give wings to many. (It did to me).

    God Bless,

    s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silvia,
      Of course you may! I would be honored!
      From joy to joy,
      Nancy

      Delete
  2. Hi Nancy~
    I keep hangin on to this idea of "life." L I F E. It is moving me forward.

    I so enjoyed listening to Jack and Kaley at the fireside chat. I wondered if they didn't feel like they were "the Great Experiment". How gracious of them (and you parents!!) to let us have a look inside and ask those questions.

    Also, reading Jack's post does breathe hope and certainty to those of us coming behind!! He writes with such confidence! I so appreciate his insight. :o)

    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote from Kaley! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to have the newlyweds there! They would give assurance that THIS works!
    Hope they are doing well. my most recent newlyweds say they are living the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures of a lovely couple!

    ReplyDelete